Friday, June 29, 2012

Swamp cooler woes

First things first and maybe last things first.  Yesterday afternoon Coumadin level was 2.9 and was within range.  Changed nothing and will go again in 3 weeks.  Got the 3rd B-12 shot so only have one more next week before going on to a monthly schedule.
************************************************************

Well this morning started off with a bang.  Or more of a whimper on my part.  Weather reporter said it was going to be another hot one today.  Right at or above 97 degrees so I thought I would check the swamp cooler to make sure everything was good to go.  I noticed that there was a build up of some sort of residue (calcium?) on the big filter so I decided to clean it off.  Well after taking the garden hose and spraying off the filter I noticed the water in the trough was now full of the build up.  I let out a little sigh and said damn.  I pulled the overflow pipe out and drained the water in the trough.  So far so good.  Then I opened up the outside shed and retrieved the wet and dry vac out and vacuumed the left over wet residue out.  Again so far so good.  Put the big filters  back in and went to re-install the overflow pipe back in BUT I broke it.  This was all before 7:30 AM . . .  rats rats and double rats.

OK . . . . it ended up being way easier to fix than I thought.  Home Depot opened at 6 AM so I went there (only 3/4 of mile from the house) and for a whopping 3 dollars and some odd cents bought a "Cooler Drain & Overflow Pipe" Kit like the below picture.

Took about 15 minutes to install and hook everything back up and have the cooler running efficiently once more.  Probably had it back up and running before my wife even got to work.

Today's weather report and current temp (Just rechecked and current temp is 100.4 degrees but [to make one feel good it only feels like 97 degrees]  :








No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to add? Easiest if you use the Anonymous as the profile. But hey.. what do I know. If you want to criticize or lambast me please feel free to do so. . . In advance, Thanks