Friday, April 12, 2013

Coumadin check today.

Well, another weekly test on my INR*  levels.  Last week it was 3.0, week before it was at 3.5.

We reduced my Warfarin dosage by .5 mg.  In other words instead of taking .5 mg 4 times a week it was reduced to only 3 times this week.  BUT we also doubled the Vitamin K taken every night.

Besides the above I wonder how my "normal" bowel movement in the mornings are going to play into my levels.



*  The prothrombin time (PT) and its derived measures of prothrombin ratio (PR) and international normalized ratio (INR) are measures of the extrinsic pathway of coagulation. This test is also called "ProTime INR" and "PT/INR". They are used to determine the clotting tendency of blood, in the measure of warfarin dosage, liver damage, and vitamin K status. PT measures factors I (fibrinogen), II (thrombin), V, VII, and X. That is classic extrinsic pathway. It is used in conjunction with the activated partial thromboplastin time (aPTT) which measures the intrinsic pathway.  {got it?  picture a smiley face here}

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to add? Easiest if you use the Anonymous as the profile. But hey.. what do I know. If you want to criticize or lambast me please feel free to do so. . . In advance, Thanks